View Single Post
08-06-09, 08:08 AM   #16
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Myrathi View Post
Not at all (though it would definitely be a good thing if they did all agree). You just need one of the sites to take the lead in enforcing a specific format and, when authors start following it, I'd expect the other sites to follow suit (being saved the effort of getting people to start). The biggest issue is getting authors to start doing it... but that's easily accomplished by requiring it on the submission page. Actually getting other addon sites to join in with enforcing version standards would be much better, though: it would benefit the community, as a whole.
Ideally, yes..

But authors are finicky people. Particularly because they are putting a lot of time into coding that they could be spending playing, and getting no tangible benefit outside of the odd donation, and a lot of users yelling at them because their blender app isn't a good coffee grinder.

.. Which, to me, means that if WoWI unilaterally imposed a version # standard, I'd expect about a 50/50 split between authors who follow it and authors who think it's so stupid they can't name their version "Delta 4" and just stop posting updates to WoWI at all.