View Single Post
03-14-11, 03:31 AM   #16
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I wouldn't say I like Logitech... But they were the geek's choice about twenty years ago and have kept putting out solid stuff, especially at the edge. They're less good for getting you the product you really like.

They've been pretty good at getting tech licensing deals, but while that means they make edge stuff (like Playstation high end things, the gaming keyboards and mice) they're less good at making sure they translate that into decent low-end products. They've been skating on the same controller in their standard mice for ten years now, for instance, and have been poor at bringing each year's new stuff to the main bench.

But they alway use good plastics and solid, well-tested products. So they have kept their name clean, whereas their big competition twenty years ago squandered name recognition for low-end profits.

For instance, Belkin came in big because of their direct-factory contacts and low prices, but they didn't parlay that into a name you can trust. Their products are iffy - make sure someone else used that line first, or you might be biting the bullet! - and their over-time support for their products is terrible. That said, they make many of the specialty products that make using PCs tolerable, and hence I have a half dozen of their various peripherals about, the Nostromo being not the strangest I've in my arsenal.

-Crissa