Thread: Mazzle and Mac
View Single Post
05-26-07, 10:25 AM   #32
Exceltica
A Murloc Raider
Mac Client crash cause -- Mazzle layout vs. Basic Big Button Layout?

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

I can't reproduce it b/c I don't have a Mac.

If you want to test your theory, try this. Load the Mazzifier and type this before Mazzifying the buttons:

/script Mazzifier:CompressBar() = function() end

That should stop it from decreasing the bar size.
My apologies -- I didn't mean to say that you should try it, but people who had it working on a Mac already to see if it would break. I went through some more test cases (detailed below) -- on three characters (level 4 Draenei shaman, level 6 blood elf warlock, level 6 night elf rogue) and found the factor that was causing the Mazzlefication to crash the client:
I removed the WTF folder and went through the process again. Loaded up the level 4 Draenei, adjusted the screen size (wide mode, windowed), then pasted that line ("/script Mazzifier:CompressBar() = function() end") in before running through the Mazzification process. (Used defaults, full Mazzle, Large size on the fonts, Mazzle Shamam button layout) No dice, unfortunately, same error.

Removed WTF folder, reran in wide mode, non-windowed (1920x1200), full defaults, Large font size, Mazzle Shamam button layout, same error.

Removed WTF folder, reran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Mazzle Shamam button layout, same error.

Removed WTF folder, reran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Big Button Layout, Populate spells off -- WORKED.

Removed WTF folder, reran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Mazzle Shaman Layout, Populate spells off, same error.

Removed WTF folder, reran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Big Button Layout, Populate spells on -- WORKED.
Tenative conclusion: Something about the Mazzle Shaman default button layout is doing something differently. The Big Button Layout is apparently working.

Switched to level 6 blood elf warlock. Removed WTF folder (my Trash can is full of WTF folders now! ) Re-ran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Big Button Layout, Populate spells on -- WORKED.

Still on level 6 blood elf warlock. Removed WTF folder, re-ran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal sized fonts, Mazzle Warlock layout, Populate spells on, same error/crash.

Switched to level 6 night elf rogue. Removed WTF folder, Re-ran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Big Button Layout, Populate spells on -- WORKED.

Still on level 6 night elf rogue. Removed WTF folder, Re-ran in wide mode, non-windowed, full defaults, normal size fonts, Mazzle Layout, Populate spells on, same error/crash.
Test summaries:
* 3 classes, 3 races (Level 4 Draenei Shaman, Level 6 Blood Elf Warlock, Level 6 Night Elf Rogue)
* WTF folder removed each time
* Only difference between success and the client crashing is whether or not the Basic Big Button layout was chosen or the Mazzle class specific button layout was chosen.

Potential open test cases:
* Test with other classes and Mazzle class-specific button layout.
* Retest the above with higher level characters and Mazzle class-specific button layout to see if there is a combination of the Mazzle class-specific button layout and a missing ability affecting the button layout.
* Retest the above with the Basic Button Layout instead of Basic Big Button Layout
* Mazzle-fy one character with Basic Big Button layout, confirm it works. Then without removing WTF folder, Mazzle-fy a second with Mazzle class-specific and confirm it crashes. Reload and confirm first character still works to confirm that the problem is isolated to character-specific button layout.

Please let me know if the additional testing would be of help (though I am limited in the number of high level character classes I can throw at it), or if there is a different methodology or set of options I should be exercising.

Alternatively, if there are specific WTF folder files you would want to look at, I could re-run the tests above (Big Button Layout vs. Mazzle class specific layout) and post the files (or look for specific values, at least). It is always possible that the problem is not in Bongos per se or such, but rather that somehow the configuration generation is getting broken in some way.

(At the moment, it appears I can consistantly generate a success case and a failure case, though it should not be assumed that the failure cases I am generating cover all other reports of the client crash in the CLayoutFrame file.)