View Single Post
07-23-07, 07:32 AM   #13
Auralei
A Cyclonian

I'll comment on this.

The reason that people got mad because Mazzle decided he might sell his UI is because he doesn't OWN all of the code behind that UI. In fact, Mazzle is responsible for very little as far as his compilation is concerned, there is more work from other authors that he relies on.

Sorry, but that's just the truth. You can download his compilation and see for yourself that the work he's done is minimal at best when compared to the larger picture of who was behind his UI.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a shock for him to know that his addon is easily copied with eePanels using the very same art files, Discord Unit frames using his settings, ZMobDB for the 3D crap, Pitbull for a "Mazzle-ish" touch if you don't want to use DUF, and Geist for the context menu. I run one with those exact addons. In other words, he hasn't done anything revolutionary. And he can't stop the copies, and if he goes paid, it'll be a very short amount of time before we see a "Free MazzleUI" on another site somewhere. If he feels like doing something unethical with other people's code, people will give him that very same favor in return and there's not one thing he can do about it, he's lucky they haven't already in retaliation for his continued abuse and attitude toward the public.

This big picture on this issue is ethics and taste. And I have a feeling that "if" he decided he's going to sell something he didn't make on his own, the ethics and taste will speak for themselves. I can't name another author out there who sells compilations that contain other authors' work, there's a reason for that, they have tact. Do I find it tacky that Mazzle wants to no charge money to stay away from questions regarding his addon and some other hodge podge nonsense? You bet. But it doesn't surprise me, not in the least.

We'll see what the other authors do, when and "if" Mazzle decides to do something that blatantly, stupid and elitist.

Last edited by Auralei : 07-23-07 at 07:48 AM.