View Single Post
09-10-09, 10:26 PM   #35
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
I'd just like to point out that most of these rating AddOns, in all likelihood, were not written to cater to elitist morons. In my case, I wrote GearGauge to help raid guilds by giving them a tool to look at who is not spending the time and effort to properly gear/enchant/socket, and the individual players have a browser they can use to see what other folks are using for gear, enchantments, and gems.

Saying that these types of AddOns are the problem and should be done away with, instead of the idiots who abuse them, is like saying we should stop making knives because idiots could use them to hurt people.
So, you in essence wrote your addon to serve as a convenient method of judging someone else? Interesting. This is a perfect example of being part of the problem rather than the solution. No offense or disrespect towards your work, of course. I appreciate people working at making the community better, I just don't see how feeding elitism does that, but maybe I'm the crazy one. I'm certainly open to that prospect.

On another point, it was my intention to state that "idiots" stop using these addons for elitist purposes. It was not that the addons shouldn't be made. I give two craps about who makes what or what's available or not available so long as I have my few core addons I do care though when things like this are used to shape an entire realm's persona into an elitist bunch of nerds and theorycrafters. The addon and the knife are fine until they are in the hands of a fool.