View Single Post
11-21-17, 07:14 PM   #9
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by benots4 View Post
seems like a lot of maintenance to keep spell IDs. Readyspells gets the spell names from the spell book. Which would already be localized.
Yes, it does and they are, but only to build the list of "Available spells". From the standpoint of configuring ReadySpells from scratch, what I'm talking about is unnecessary, indeed.
BUT that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the default lists that ReadySpells loads if there is none configured by the user yet. I'm talking about lines 1176 through 1498 in Core.lua, in your latest public release.
Those lists aren't even consistently built from class to class (though they seem to all work, for the spells whose names have been kept since MoP). Amongst other differences, some use the BabbleSpellStub twobits created and some others don't.

without maint. The next expac the spell ID list needs to be rebuilt. If/When Vanilla comes back the what, keep two spell id lists? or just use the spell book.

Also using the spell book means the user is only presented with the spells they have. As spells are learned they can be added to the rotation without ever leaving the game.
Again, that is the preferred way (actually the only way) to present the player with the list of spells they can copy-paste to their watchlists/slots. That will still be in the addon.
What I'm talking about is that little push that is putting some of those spells in minimally organised watch lists by default, if and only if the player themselves haven't configured anything yet.
It's a nice and common feature, and ReadySpells has it already. I'm only trying to work on making this feature (not the generic way of acquiring spells) a little easier to maintain in the future.
I'm also working on a little tool to populate the library ( Lib: SpellName2ID ). By the weekend, I should have a new version of the library (and the populating tool) working and integrated into ReadySpells (in the SVN).

If I were going to spend my time I would change readyspells to use the button bars. That way trinkets, Macros, flasks, etc could be used as well as spells.
That's a very good idea. I'll have a look at that as soon as I can.