View Single Post
02-09-22, 08:08 AM   #4
LenweSaralonde
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I'll look into ways we can counter this by possibly using upload chunking, the only problem is that requires javascript so it would work fine for a web form but it wont work for an api.
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
For the API I could spin up another backend that is unprotected from DDOS so that if it does get attacked only uploading via the API is effected and not the entire website.
In addition to the existing HTTP upload with DDoS protection and the 100 MB limit, maybe you could just allow to provide an URL to the archive file online (for example the download link of a GitHub release archive) and just download from it on server side ? It should be way more easier to implement and would be a solid workaround to the file upload limit.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Alternatively, you could add additional instruments as separate plugins instead of part of the main download.
This is what I did for the piano, but most of the people don't bother downloading plugins.

In addition, I'd like to add "LoFi" versions of all the instruments for those who have a computer with lower specs (instrument samples should be preloaded when the game starts and be maintained in the OS file cache to avoid stuttering) which will result in a bigger archive. Having everything already in the main archive (new instruments + LoFi versions) would make things simple for users, even if the archive file size and occupied space on storage device is bigger.