View Single Post
12-19-13, 01:04 AM   #52
Tegerian
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by niffboy View Post
So much, THIS:

The email Scott sent out on Nov 14 was pretty rude imo. He was lashing out at the NUI community (which I don't claim to be part of, I just read the newsletters because honestly my gf and I are wanting to see how many expansions NUI 6 is going to be in development.) as a whole, it seems, because he didn't get the donations to Eco-Geeks he was looking to get. As far as people being a-holes to him, it happens in every walk of life. Where I work, people will be rude to me one day then need my help the next... "Oh you want my FREE help after all the nasty things you said to me earlier?"... it happens. Either way he was lashing out at EVERYONE.

He said he only asked for 3 simple things:

"1) Please look at my link at and read my storyhttp://igg.eco-geeks.org
2) Please consider supporting my goal with a contribution… if only because it is important to me
3) Please share my goal with people you know who would appreciate the intent"

How does he know people didn't read the story?
How does he know people didn't share his goal with people they know?
The ONLY thing he would know for sure is that people didn't donate.

So logic would conclude that the incensed newsletter was inspired by the lack of donations by "asshats" (read NUI community) who use the "fruits of his labor", who ""profit" from his work" who use his free software. So in effect, if you have used his software and you didn't donate, that letter was directed at you. So I agree with WoWI that Scott was rude to his community when they failed to take up his banner and run with it.

Do I believe addon authors should be able to profit from their software, yeah to a point. I mean if we all of the sudden HAD to pay for addons and stated getting nickel and dime'd at every turn, people would either a) stop playing or b) play with no mods. Period. I HATE the stock UI so my choice would be stop playing.
His reason for being angry was the abuse leveled at him by some members on the email list, for simply sending them an email detailing the possibility of donations. As for his email venting his anger at the attacks, the email should have found them merely informational for anyone that was not part of the attacks on him. The reason to make everyone aware of the problem is that it is easier to inform the community as a whole of the situation rather than wasting ones time trying to reason with that element of the community individually.

As for those responsible for the attacks, their behavior was not just rude it was an emblematic act of petty arrogance towards a man that has spent years providing them a free add-on and reading who knows how many complaints and request emails over that time. For one of those people to be shocked that an author would have a negative reaction to their attacking them is merely a glaring indicator of how deeply ingrained the sense of entitlement has become amongst the WoW community.

If an individual does not wish to donate, fine, but there is no need to be a tool about the issue especially when receiving that email is the only price they have ever paid for his work.

Additionally, the add-on is still available for free through Curse, something that his critics have repeatedly ignored. WoW Interface is the only group that felt some sort of 'retribution' against Scott was necessary, Blizzard feels the situation is fine as does Curse and thus far so do the donating members of the NUI community from whom I have seen responses.

Steve