View Single Post
06-03-08, 11:44 AM   #58
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
In all fairness, and speaking for myself here, I don't see how the two relate...

The wowhead client is not run alongside of the game collecting data that is in memory and not otherwise available. It merely collects data that the game itself writes to disk and uploads it to the server to be parsed. I can go into my WDB folder and open up those files in Notepad or Wordpad and see all of the NPCs or Quests and Quest text, Items, etc, that my client has seen in game. Sure, not everything is translated, there are a lot of unknown characters, but I can see how wowhead could use that information to build its database, which then gets filled in properly by the addon's saved variables. Reading those files and using the model viewers is not against the TOS. In that thread you linked, only one person said that it was not allowed (and was later rebuffed by another poster), but the source that they gave had nothing to do with the topic of that thread - their source was about decoding GUIDs for the new combat log - which has been done and you can check out wowwiki.

Now, I'm no programmer, however, and perhaps the wowhead client does more than I think it does. But, again, I personally fail to see the relation. I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to get facts straight and understand.

Have you and/or the Magelo team contacted Blizzard to ask if this is okay?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh