View Single Post
07-10-12, 09:54 PM   #17
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm glad you understand.

There is a Guild Wars 2 beta on the 20th I believe, it is the last beta before release which is the 28th.

There is no way for me to gain access to the files of the UI though, until I've installed the released version, because the beta doesn't come with folders for it.

But once it releases, I can get the UI elements, and anything else needed. I just don't know how to make it.

I know the other project is being worked on, but they have no intention of making it EXACTLY as I'd want it to be, but it's close.

Would you be interested in taking on the project? If not, I'll just wait till the update for the project I chose to go with and hopefully it'll work for me.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I get what you were requesting and I've worked on a project like this before. The only problem is, I don't have access to GW2. I've played GW1 before and still have my copy of it, but it doesn't look anywhere near the same.

The project I worked on before was a full conversion into a Warcraft 3 UI complete with switching between the 4 racial skins depending on the user's race. I discontinued work on it solely because the artwork for the bottom bar took up the bottom third of the screen, making it impractical. That and there really was no way to make it work for vehicles.

The entire idea was to port the Warcraft 3 UI to function exactly the same way in WoW. The square minimap was on the lower left corner. Target info with the target model was in the center (target info defaulted to player when no target was selected). I had the bag buttons in the small 2x3 button area for hero inventory. I had the main action bar buttons spread out in the 4x3 command grid on the lower right corner. The only thing I was missing was the unitframes across the top left of the screen and placing the chatframe on the left side of the screen, just above the minimap.

Most conversions I've seen ignore the functional layout of the original game. An example would be a conversion of Starcraft 2, where they replaced the minimap and command grid with the chatframe and combat log. Functional for WoW, but it completely defeats the nostalgic purpose of having the UI in the first place.