Thread: Ace Addons
View Single Post
06-17-07, 10:06 AM   #19
Ricowan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are a lot of misconceptions regarding code libraries in general, not just in the WoW modder community. The number one misconception (in my opinion) is that ACE2 is a single library. It isn't, there's a very large number of libraries that fall under the ACE2 family, and if an addon you use is the only one in your addons folder using a particular library, you are most likely wasting memory, rather than saving it. Especially if the addon only uses a small part of that library; in this case the addon would benefit *you* more if it didn't use the library. But, if you have five addons that all use that same library, you're going to save memory even if each addon only uses a small part of the library. The main issue is that the vast majority of addon users aren't programmers, so they have to base their choices on good information, and that's sorely lacking in any official, easily accessible format. The ACE2 libraries do benefit the person that uses a lot of addons, who is able to select those addons that share libraries efficiently. I use ACE2 in three of the addons I write, so I do know a bit about the issues.