View Single Post
06-02-08, 06:02 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I got a reply over there, but I dunno who the person is that replied. The way they worded it makes it appear they work for Blizzard, but I've also asked for clarification on that too because I want to hear from an official person on the issue.

"There are lots of addons and other programs out there that make use of information sent to clients, Blizz even sends us "items numbers" and "item levels" but its just not used in the generic UI. This is all data that Blizzard designed to be utilized by UI and Add-On designers and makers.

Traditionally, the Magelo client read our games' RAM allotment to gather all its information, which is fine...

Usually when they're talking about things like that in the EULA, its refering to packet sniffers, which intercept and scan our actual network data stream. The data streams tend to carry proprietary information that is not meant to be used by any kind of UI addons, and is for internal game program use only.
Analyzing the data packets, you can find information on objects and other data that would allow for exploits or hacks. Because if you can see the incoming/outgoing data, you can see just about anything (even if its not meant to be seen), or possibly even alter it.

So as long as the Magelo client isn't intercepting our network data streams, and only reading our own computer's RAM, its fine to use.
"

Does that sound even remotely correct?