Thread: BlizzCon
View Single Post
11-04-05, 04:44 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Friday, 28 Oct 05

BLIZZCON!!!! YAY!! What to say? I’m not a “reporter” to give you all the “official” reports that you can read at many of the other sites, I’m just lil ‘ol me and all I can do is to give you my impressions. First of all, the lines! OMG, the lines! Arriving at the convention center, I can say that I was mighty glad for my press/FSP pass that allowed me to bypass the general line and just walk on in. The line just to get into the center stretched around the block. I’m not sure just how long it stretched, since I never did see the tail end of it. And inside, a veritable sea of humanity. The line for the goody bags was over an hour long by the time I arrived. The line for the store was at least triple that. Through copious use of our cell phones, Dolby, Kaelten, Slouken and I were all able to find each other and head in for the opening ceremonies. Lots of information already out there about what is upcoming in the expansion, but from everything I’ve read so far, no one has yet mentioned the one thing that brought *THE* most resounding cheer: linked auction houses in all the major cities! Other things already mentioned include:
  • An increase in the level cap to 70
  • Two new playable races, including the magical Blood Elves
  • New starting zones in Quel'Thalas and beyond
  • The entire new continent of Outland, reachable through the Dark Portal
  • Many new high-level dungeons to explore in Azeroth, Outland, and elsewhere
  • New flying mounts in Outland
  • Many new and dangerous monsters, including epic world bosses
  • Hundreds of new quests
  • Hundreds of new items
  • A new profession: Jewelcrafting
  • Socketed items
Of course, one of the things that got asked repeatedly throughout the entire length of the ‘con: what is the new alliance race. They (Blizz) did a real good job dodging that one. Guess we get to wait and see.

Spent a great deal of time wandering around, just looking at stuff and talking to people after the opening ceremonies. Lost Kaelten somewhere along the way, but managed to meet up with Iriel! YAY! More hugs! Hugs make for a happy Cairenn.

Wandered down the street to Subway for lunch with Dolby, Iriel and Slouken, where we flopped out on the grass outside and talked geek for a while. UIs and code and websites, oh my!

Back to the convention center and time to sit in on a couple of the panels and for Slouken to do his stint at the signing table. If I remember we sat in on the Professions and Items Panel, then Slouken did his hour at the signing table during which Iriel and Dolby and I wandered around a bit looking at the various booths set up, but mostly hung out near the table in the hopes of finding more folks from the UI community. Then off to the Dungeons Creation Panel.

Coming out of the second panel and trying to decide what to hit next, my cell phone rang again and time to hook up with another long time friend, Chris. He was the one that told me about the passing of Keith Parkinson, my reaction to said news already being posted. Back inside I told folks that I needed to go back to my hotel room to get changed for the evening. So, I lied a little. I needed time to myself to get pulled back together and not bring everyone down. Hence, I missed dinner with everyone. I know there was lots more geek talk (UIs and code and websites, oh my!) but I don’t know what all it consisted of. Somewhere in there, Kudane showed up too and met up with Dolby and Kaelten.

Hooked back up with everyone in time for the C.ocktails & Contests. Again, what to say that hasn’t already been covered elsewhere by those better at these sorts of things than I am. What pictures we have will be posted soon-ish.

Back to the hotel and time to sleep. Didn’t take long to drop off this time, I was *tired!*

Saturday, 29 Oct 05

Slept in! Didn’t actually get to the ‘con until almost noon. Found Kaelten, Dolby, Kudane & Iriel. Slouken at home, wife sick. Hit up the Character Class panel and the Comic Panel. Again, spent most of the time other than that just wandering around, talking geek and looking for others from the UI community. Looked at the continuing lines for the store and gave up. =/

Dinner, quick change of clothes and time for the concert. Slouken showed up for that, we lost Kudane and Kaelten though. That’s okay, we partied none-the-less, Dolby, Iriel, Slouken & I.

Short day, since I over slept.

/edit Oh, I knew I forgot something! *laughs* Yeah, we were partying, alright, to the point that we got threatened with being thrown out of the concert! We couldn't get down into the mosh pit, so we were up dancing in the aisle. (Yes, I even got Dolby up dancing with me! Hah!) Next thing we know, we've got a security guard telling us that we aren't allowed to dance in the aisle and to go back to our seats and dance there, or leave. Hehehehehe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	costume-redpurple.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	772  Click image for larger version

Name:	costume-undead.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	773  Click image for larger version

Name:	dwarf1.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	774  Click image for larger version

Name:	dwarf2.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	775  

Name:	elf-mage.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	776  Click image for larger version

Name:	mage.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	777  Click image for larger version

Name:	mage-dwarf.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	778  Click image for larger version

Name:	NE-with-Murky-Pet.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	779  

Name:	nova.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	780  Click image for larger version

Name:	nova-squared.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	781  Click image for larger version

Name:	priest1.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	782  Click image for larger version

Name:	shaman-totems.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	784  

Name:	slouken_climb_01.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	785  Click image for larger version

Name:	slouken-mage-elf.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	786  Click image for larger version

Name:	slouken-succ2.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	787  

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-31-06 at 05:01 PM.