06-13-19, 02:10 AM   #1
MooreaTv
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
supernoob questions about strings and font in editbox

Hi there,

I'm trying to do 2 things and banging my head against the wall:

a) I'd like put a fixed font in a (static dialog) editBox
I found in Fonts.xml a handful of huge fonts like System_world and in FontStyles.xml it's referenced as CombatText

If I e:SetFontObject(CombatTextFont) it is huge
How can I set a smaller version of the same font (I don't want to ship custom fonts with my addon, just use any non proportional font)

b) I would like to change the width of the box (and the height too if I change the font), I found
e:SetWidth(width)
and also that I am supposed to use :GetStringWidth() on a FontString but I can't seem to extract/find the fontstring that must be somewhere inside the EditBox :-(
(for height it'll be editBox:SetHeight() once I find where to call :GetStringHeight())

I feel I'm very close yet so far... halp! please !

thanks!

edit: solved below. also forgot to give some context on why I want a) and b): it's for something that the user need to copy from the game and happens to have a maximum character length (thus there is no resizing needed once the right size is found)

ps: the code I am trying to make work is https://github.com/mooreatv/DynamicB...I.lua#L85-L103

Last edited by MooreaTv : 06-13-19 at 10:40 PM. Reason: adding link to source code; fixed line numbers; update