View Single Post
05-13-07, 04:13 PM   #1
Wintry
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
More Model functionality

Currently, the Model, PlayerModel and DressUpModel are fairly limited. Sure, they work well for the mods already in the game, for example, X-perl, with player models in the unit frames, however, here are some improvements I suggest:
  • Ability to load a model from a path name (like you can now), *with* a texture
  • Ability to retrieve model paths from an existing model object, *and* their corresponding current texture

Take this as an example; I target some random boar, and I can load it to a PlayerModel fine, with a PlayerModel:SetUnit("target") function call. However, although I can retrieve the filename of the model, if I was to load another PlayerModel directly from this, it would appear as an exact duplicate (as it should), but just all white / textureless.

What I would like to be able to do, is retrieve and set textures on a model, whether it be through an ID or filename, it doesn't matter. Also, textures unique to a particular model are perfectly fine, I wouldn't need to load a texture from one model on to a different type of model.

What is my reasoning for this you ask? Well, there are certain mod ideas that I have that are currently not possible, or if done, would have to be done badly. My idea is a mob bestiary, where one could - for example - take a look through a list of bosses your raiding community has fought, along with a list of abilities and attributes those bosses have (provided by text edited by players), and a moving model of the boss.

Any thoughts are welcome.