Thread: Lf tutor
View Single Post
01-20-12, 09:38 AM   #8
Consistency
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Jincks View Post
Thanks for the responses. Im taking a c++ class. I dont know if i should jump into lua while im learning c++ or after. Suggestion?
After getting further in the book I'd say having basic java/c#/c++ knowledge should make this all way easier. As I had some trouble understanding some of the words used in the book (most likely because english isn't my main language).

Originally Posted by Othgar View Post
Personally I didn't really find the WoW Programming book all that helpful. I thinks it's best to start with an oUF layout you like and start tweaking things and changing things. Just keep a backup copy of a working version available so if you break something too bad you can always go back a step or two. I always have been more of a hands on learner though, and I do have the book around just for reference.
Sorry for going slightly offtopic here but you made an awesome job on your oUF layout.

Back on-topic, the method described above is even better to really practice but I think you should atleast read the first 7 chapters of the book to have a understanding of the LUA/XML basics rather than blindly copying/recycling code.

Tho, all-in-all LUA doesn't really seem like a hard language and could be learned quickly.