View Single Post
02-09-06, 05:27 PM   #2
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Garoun
1) Any addon/Mod or way that I can see the Memory signature and usage on a 'per mod' basis which would help me track down what mod(s) are causing the memory to burn so fast when I'm doing absolutely nothing.
I don't know of any way to establish per-mod memory usage apart from unloading each one in turn and looking at the memory used. Unfortunately I think the leak probelm is in the client or Blizzard UI itself. I tried investigating this using the following macro:
/script local u,g=gcinfo();if (u and g) then ChatFrame1:AddMessage("used: "..u.." (gc at "..g..")");end
Which will show in your default chat tab the current memory used and the current garbage collection level. Even with all mods disabled in the Addons screen, I found that my memory usage was going up with time. I haven't tried deleting my Interface or WTF folders entirely to try this though (although I wouldn't expect this to be a factor).

I also haven't posted this finding on the WoW bug reports or technical support forums, which I probably should do (unless you'd like to Garoun ).

2) Any idea how to correct the issue of severe screen freeze hitting when the Garbage Collection kicks in (I have 2 gigs of Corsair memory on the way which should help)
The GC level is set automatically from what I can tell, to be a few megs more than the current usage when the GC occurs. You can see this with the above macro that after you hit the GC point, your GC limit will have increased slightly. I'm not sure if more memory would help the GC process (I suspect the pause is due to CPU processing alone), or how you'd set the GC limit manually. Reducing how much memory your addons are using in total would probably help though (which means either more memory efficient addons, or less addons).

3) Any ideas, besides of course wiping out every mod and starting from scratch, on how to decipher what mod or mods is causing the load to increase exponentially. (Tied to #1 basically)
Nothing more I can think of...

-- Cirk