View Single Post
04-15-09, 03:13 PM   #382
ashes11
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
It's really amazing how many of the people defending WM only have 2 or 3 posts under their names. Could it be that the only reason they're here is that their precious updater no longer works and they are coming out of the woodwork to complain about it? Surely not!
Why is that bad?

I've been using WoWInterface for a long, long time. I signed up a while ago when I was on the verge of having to ask some questions about Macaroon after switching off of Trinity bars, but... I figured things myself.

The WoWI admins seem nice enough, and many of the add-on authors are super smart and very helpful (Maul, for example), but I don't really have much to say to them beyond, "thanks, great job!". I do regret that I've transitioned from the "Silent Majority" of appreciative WoWI users to a squeaky wheel in regards to WM. Seriously, though, had WoWI said something well in advance about turning off WM, it would have saved me several hours of frustration yesterday.

I've seen the posts from the admins stating that WM costs them bandwidth money, which I accept. I've seen their posts mentioning that they had to cut off WM yesterday, because some other big add-on sites were going to do so as well. That makes sense to me, too. Reading between the lines, it seems that whoever's running curse these days was probably the motivating factor behind the WM shut-down.

All that being said, I've seen no satisfactory explanation about why WoWI/curse had to cut off WM without any warning at all to end-users. And by "warning", I mean posting something publicly once they had decided to do it, which was probably weeks ago. Not doing so was just rude. As justified as their actions may have been, surprising everyone on patch day just smacks of being a stunt. What reason could there have been not to give advance notice as soon as they decided they were going to do it ?