View Single Post
04-15-09, 05:23 PM   #387
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I noticed a lot of people saying manually updating isn't that bad. I want to address that. Manually updating vs updating through a UI isn't the bottom issue here. It's convenience.

Do you run a Linux server? Do you people say "ugh, I can't delete this folder" and you say "oh, it's easy, just go into terminal and rm -f." Do you tell the people that have problems with an install "oh, that's easy, just cd to directly, chmod this file (install was bugged), mv this file" and so forth?

The issue isn't "manual updating isn't hard" it's the progression of user interfaces -- something came out that made a previously tedious task simple. We deal with this every day: it's called User Interfaces. As an iPhone user about cell phone interfaces. Ask a G1 user to use an old style cell phone. They are going to ***** up the ass and refuse. The interface has evolved. Now you're asking people to literally devolve because an interface (which wasn't doing anything illegal) gets banned.

Dolby has a lot of new ideas. I hope he takes them up. Heck, their own WoWI updater will have to use an API of some sort -- why not just reverse engineer that?

Anyway. I just wanted to address to whole "convenience" factor many people seem to be forgetting.