View Single Post
04-15-09, 05:34 PM   #389
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by guice View Post
Anyway. I just wanted to address to whole "convenience" factor many people seem to be forgetting.
Convenience is certainly convenient, but providing it without placing a burden on the host sites is hard. WAU solved one burden (people updating via svn) and replaced it with another (even heavier bandwidth use) because it was convenient. WM once again solved the convenience issue, yet did even worse on the bandwidth front, perhaps because it was even easier to use? Had WM actually worked with WoWI and Curse to solve the bandwidth issue, then they could have secured their source of content and it wouldn't have been pulled out from under them when it became a problem.

As it stands the ball is essentially in their court. I bet that if they honestly wanted to make things work so all parties were happy and a sustainable design could be found, WoWI and Curse would be more than happy to work with them. Doing that would offload the need for those sites to create an updater, and user would be happy with the software they know and love.