View Single Post
04-15-09, 05:58 PM   #393
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ashes11 View Post
All that being said, I've seen no satisfactory explanation about why WoWI/curse had to cut off WM without any warning at all to end-users. And by "warning", I mean posting something publicly once they had decided to do it, which was probably weeks ago. Not doing so was just rude. As justified as their actions may have been, surprising everyone on patch day just smacks of being a stunt. What reason could there have been not to give advance notice as soon as they decided they were going to do it ?
Your question is a naive one. Isn't it obvious ? They didn't want to give WM staff any prior notice, so that they could investigate, prepare and possibly circumvent the block, before if it was even in place. Moreover, breaking WM on a patch day would mean that the site would have less downtimes with a less frequency of requests for downloads. From my experience, the site has been a lot more responsive than other patch days, months ago, at which point, it wasn't even accessible AT ALL for a time.

As for the matter of convenience, heh, it reminded me a post from Scott today (nUI's Author), over at the UI & Macros forum.

I also love how all the entitlement minded "I should be able to use everything for free" people were standing on the argument that WoW is Blizzard's sandbox, so they have every right to prohibit mod authors from profiting from their work, but as soon as the shoe goes around the other way and WoWI/Curse do the same thing to block someone else from using their playground (WoWMatrix) they're all up in arms about how WoWI/Curse are jerks for inconveniencing them.
In all honesty, couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes, like Scott, I wonder why the authors even bother.