View Single Post
04-15-09, 06:17 PM   #395
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by guice View Post
Their ability to create an interface that made is doubly simple to update add-ons from any of the three key repositories (Curse, Ace and WoWI).
The idea is nice, but will probably never see the light of day. Despite the fact that the community is generally unified on a lot of matters, both Curse and WoWI are running a separate business and it is in their best interest to keep expanding upon it, each one by utilizing its own resources. It's called competition I believe. Obviously if a mutually beneficial solution could be found that would keep everyone happy, then it would be ideal. I personally do not buy it, since I choose to live in the real world, where such things are always good on paper but when it comes down to it, they are never implemented for tons of reasons. This should not be confused in any way with the fact that Curse and WoWI banded together to stop an application that was disrupting their business model and was actually gaining something out of nothing (remember they never hosted any "content"). They had every right to do it and the fact that WM had set bad precedents by disrespecting authors wishes, only enhanced the problem. "But, but they changed eventually ! They are now crediting everyone !!111". Sure they did. It would be foolish of them not to and have to confront both authors/websites AND users.

Again, its all about usability here. The average user doesn't get a hoots about backend bandwidth. They just want what's simple to use. And that will even mean the most bandwidth hogging application ever created if it meant updating all add-ons within 30 seconds.
And that's why the average user will always whine (no matter what), will never be satisfied and always try to come up with ludicrous excuses and arguments to satisfy his sense of entitlement. The point to consider from a business perspective is where you choose to satisfy the user and where you decide to draw the line, so that you remain financially viable and keep satisfying him (at least to the degree that you are able to). This is getting again off topic though