View Single Post
05-19-09, 06:30 PM   #231
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by techsgtchen View Post
I think that maybe running the wowmatrix.exe file is a lot easier, and less time consuming; Than, setting up a favorite list for multiple websites and then clicking, a couple times, for each unique addon that was updated; and/or running other more clunky, and more intrusive, addon managers. I feel that maybe people are lazy and want to spend more time playing WoW, than navigating the net; Especially on a patch day like 3.1.1.
Personally I don't see a problem with using an automatic updater client from time to time. If that's floats your boat more power to you.

The attitude I'm trying to change at the moment is the attitude that you *must* update your addons every day or every 2 days. That you *must* download every update for every one of you mods. And that the only easy and fast way to do so is an automatic updater program.

People are so terrified of what would happen if they don't update their addons that they don't consider the possibility of not updating as frequently as they do. These people posting saying an automatic updater program saves them time - can I safely assume that for a program like this to be a time saver for them they do this process on a semi regular basis ?

If you examine the change log for an addon update before downloading then you'll come to the realisation that you don't need to download 70% of the addon updates out there (maybe slightly lower if you actually do play in a locale other than English).

When you have a UI that's stable ie it's not coming up with red errors and not doing weird/strange/unexpected stuff then you can afford NOT to update for a while. I know it sounds Heretical but I use 89 addons (taking out multipart addons etc) . I have not updated a single addon since May 03. And I'm not getting any errors or weird stuff happen at all.

So if people would only move the frequency they were updating to every week or even every 2 weeks on matainence(sp?) day then they would see it doesn't matter how you update and how long you take. If it takes you 5 minutes , 15 minutes or an hour. It doesn't matter as it's a process you're not going to be doing that often. Does it really matter how long a task takes if you don't do it very often ?

EG I back up to an external HD every 3-4 weeks. I could download a tool to do this manually for me but I don't use it. I usually only do this when the server's down and I have a full night of stuff other then wow to do. It doesn't matter to me if it takes 30 minutes to complete it or 2 hrs ....
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)