View Single Post
05-19-09, 06:43 PM   #233
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by isaacquotien View Post
So my question is how can there be piracy of something that has been determined by the DEVELOPER of the original content to be FREE.
It doesn't matter if it's FREE.

What matters is the creator of that work owns copyright on it the moment it's produced. When an addon author saves his addon for the first time he owns copyright on it from then on until the day he dies (and a few years afterwards)

And part of Copyright is dictating how and where it gets distributed.

It being free does not invalidate an authors right to dictate how and where it gets distributed.

all wowmatrix did in terms of bandwidth was go get the addons that i would have to do manually

<snip>
..while the bandwidth stays the same.
This is a fallacy.

Funny thing about wowmatrix is it uses a particular set of development libraries/framework in the coding of it's app. A function of the thing it uses for it's code is if you have the right tool you can decompile programs written with it back to it's source code.

We've examined the source code (this includes Dolby network admin of this site).

It does not have a database of addons and where to download them.

It has a list of addon pages which it loads 2-3 times to get the download URL.

That is where the extra bandwidth comes from.

I am saddened that there wasn't a way found to work together, as it just makes it harder on me.
They did try to work with WM over several months. Wowmatrix never come to the party. They quoted ridiculous prices to work with Curse. They never answered Wow interface.

Kinda hard to find a way to "work together" when one side completely ignores the other now is it ?

PS Oh dear ! Another wall-of-text-post. Read with care my dears
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)