View Single Post
08-13-09, 12:03 PM   #56
Ragnaar
A Defias Bandit
Here is another "just a user" reply to this thread. I have read all 3 pages of this thread btw.

Here is how I download addons now. I go to each site (Curse, WoWI etc), open up my favorites page on each site, and I look at the version number and compare to my open window that has Windows Explorer up and showing my folder that contains my already installed addons. If I can't tell in a glance whether it is an updated addon (by version number) then I immediately switch to the date. Between the two I can tell in a flash if it is indeed updated and then... I actually read the change log...gasp. And I decide from that whether I need to actually DL that addon. I learned all these little tricks from reading these and other forums. I do this for all 94 addons that I currently use. Sometimes after a patch it might take me an hour to update all my addons. After a patch is the worst of it, but I refuse to live without my addons.

We, as end users, want a replacement for WoWMatrix. And we want one that works well too. I don't use Curse because of the same problem that's being discussed here. Replacing current, up to date addons with either old versions or other versions with the same name, type of problem. I find it easier to use my own processor to make the decisions as to DL or not. I got really spoiled by the WoWAce downloader, now that worked really well.

Some of you seem to think that people can't figure out or be bothered by version numbers. Like software is the only thing that uses versions huh? Or the fact that Blizzard themselves uses version numbers and our current addons are "out of date" when a new patch hits. Yeah we are just idiots, I mean we have to figure out YOUR versioning now. Honestly, I don't care about your versioning, I just use it to determine whether I need to update your addon and yes I can actually read several of them.

From an end users point of view, all I see here is a few addon developers not wanting to conform to a suggestion that would help the rest of the community because of "why?". As an end user I don't understand your reluctance to conform to a standard. We, as people, conform to standards everyday of our lives. And this is such a minor thing that would have a major impact on Minion and how it works. It has already been admitted in this thread that indeed standardized versioning would make things much easier for Minion. I mean, some of you make it sound like it some kind of a major deal to having a standard. Sheesh people, it's a WoW addon for heavens sake. It is just NOT that big of a deal.

As far as the argument that you would have to get Curse and everyone else to conform to it also, I will reply with a question, "How did other standards get adopted?". We all know the answer, someone with some vision just started "using" it and everyone else just followed along. And I am sure that if you sent an email to Curse and WoWUI to think about adopting it they would give it some serious consideration (after all they are having some of the same problems). What did we see a few months ago? Didn't Curse and WoWI collaborate on finally killing WoWMatrix. And didn't you all have to force a standard make that happen? And don't say no, sheesh I have to click one extra time to DL from Curse now...gasp. I mean you can at least ask for their compliance or suggestions on a new standard that everyone could live with. Honestly, the excuse that "no one will agree to that" without asking first just doesn't cut it with me.

Oh and some of you addon authors are totally right in that I don't have to use your addon if I have a problem with you or your attitude. I quit using WoWMatrix when I found out how they were doing business, because I didn't agree with that at all. I quit using several addons when the whole debate about "donations" was going on. And I can certainly quit using some addons if they don't want to conform to a versioning standard. No problem.

Finally for you people that control and run WoWI. I can't believe that you would be shy at this idea. Look at what you do just on this site, from how you moderate these forums to what you make addon authors follow to post their addons here. Is a standard for version numbering that will help Minion get off the ground be a bad thing to add to the list? As an end user I would have absolutely have no problem with it. All it would take is for you to just do it and the rest of community would jump on the bandwagon. Go ahead and take the lead, it's ok in this instance.