View Single Post
01-04-10, 11:55 PM   #5
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Just kind of scares me Blizzard gave up that info, yeah it was to the authorities but still doesnt sit right with me. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid.
The keyword here is "subpoena". In other words, they had enough information to convince a judge that this information was important to a criminal case. This is no different than your bank giving up your bank records when subpoenaed.

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
But if a gaming company is not going to have the balls to protect my privacy that they promise to, whether criminal or otherwise, then Blizzard will lose me.... PERMANENTLY.
What promise? From the world of warcraft terms of use:
C. Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, Chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (a) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process; or (b) if Blizzard believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.
Again, if a cop knocked on their door, flashed a badge, and they gave this information away, then there is a problem. But, this is exactly what a subpoena is for, to get law enforcement the information they need to catch criminals. Blizzard was legally bound to provide the information subpoenaed. While they could have fought it, they have no reason to, and in fact should not unless they feel there is a problem with the subpoena itself, which clearly they did not.

Last edited by Vyper : 01-05-10 at 12:05 AM.