View Single Post
02-04-10, 02:11 AM   #7
Amenity
Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
This technique of overriding (not just adding) files is how model edits work. Model edits are very much hacks, and are often used to modify in-game geometry or other off-limits data. No one is accusing the cursor graphics of being hacks, but I wouldn't trust Blizzard's anti-cheat program to be as smart as you or I. It may simply see the extra MPQ and assume the worst. That's where all this caution comes from.
Ok, this argument I can understand. Sort of. You kinda argue against yourself here:
Granted, real model edits are locked down much tighter by Blizzard and require a lot more effort to get working. The fact that this cursor patch file works without any extra effort almost convinces me that it's safe. It's still a big risk to assume how Blizzard's anti-cheat works though.
Exactly. It's Blizzard's own work that's causing their own cursors to be overridden by ones I put in an additional file. By comparison, addons do this intentionally all the time with no ill will.

The only 100% safe thing to do is put a suggestion in on Blizzard's forums. Ask for a GetCursor API to return the current cursor graphic, and mods will be able to replace cursors easily.
True, that is the only way to be 100% safe. It's also the way to be 100% ignored, just like everyone else who posts in there. Call me dangerous, but I can live with being 99% safe.

And Zyonin...did you even read the initial post? Or for that matter, ANYTHING I've posted in this thread? You're still spouting the same crap with nothing to back it up. HOW is this a "ToS 'grey area'"? WHO said so? WHERE in the legal documents does it state as much? WHEN has something like this (where NO BLIZZARD STUFF IS BEING TOUCHED) ever led to any action whatsoever?

To be honest, it looks like you took one glance a the top of the first post, saw "MPQ Editor", and immediately flew into action.