View Single Post
11-11-10, 11:00 AM   #9
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Personally I dislake curse but hating would propably be taking it too far.

My issues with curse are
  • I find the ads are badly placed and heavily interrupt the site usage
  • As previously mentioned, javascript and flash required to download addons. My webbrowser keeps shutting down there while I have flash/javascript on as ESET SS detects infected ads and thank god closes everything before anything hits me. Happens around 2-3 times a month.
  • It seems far to commercial to me, and far to cluttered, most likely because of the portal concept. I want WoW Addons and I don't want to have to read about anything else or have anything else clutter up the space.
  • Curse Client: can only download 1 addon at the time unless I get premium. Feels like they want to squeeze anything they can out of my wallet.
  • Curse Client: Mac OS X Version is extremely unstable and difficult to get it to do anything but crash.
  • Curse Client: I want a client for WoW Addons not a client for every single game contained in the Curse Portal. That's loads of junk filling up my harddrive

The reasons I chose WoWInterface (and Minion) are
  • It feels more like a living and breathing community.
  • Communication with Addon devs and other members is better
  • It reaches out on a more personal level
  • People (like me) who are hobby programmers and don't really know what they're doing get incredibly good help here. Always friendly responses!
  • The selection of Addons is different, while it contains the mainstream ones you can always find new innovative AddOns here, it has an indie dev flare
  • Site layout in general. Not cluttered, simply straightforward and functional
  • Minion: works perfectly on Mac OS X
  • Minion: Green monster! Honestly nothing can beat that!
  • Minion: Easier when switching between different AddOn configurations. Minion adapts at once.

I guess an important issue for me is that I don't like being mainstream.
Curse is more mainstream so it's natural for me to lurk somewhere that's not so crowded. (And before you ask, yes I have my HS bound to Exodar as Alliance and Silvermoon City as Horde. Nice and empty.)

These are obviously my personal opinions. If curse works great for you then go ahead and use it, I don't mind.

The best way to decide is to try both curse client and minion and then make up your mind!