View Single Post
04-15-09, 07:19 PM   #410
ugark
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Bouvi View Post
All they do is hide it. The ads still get tagged as viewed. Thanks but my theory stands.

You people would blame WoWI and Curse if they closed down due to WM leeching bandwidth.
You must be new to adblocking, it puts the sites as 127.0.0.1 in the host file so theres never a reference as to "user X pulled data from us via wowinterface" .. since it never looks up the data (which is seen as being at 127.0.0.1 [which is localhost, don't want to confuse you] is the location it "requests" the data from) .. it never registers the "viewing", thus not using bandwidth, registering the view or giving anyone money for useless ads no one ever clicks.... but hey .. nice try!

Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I find the arguments against WM to be a wee bit two-faced.

On the one hand you say
"ZOMG they were stealing our content and hosting it themselves"
and then you say
"but we made them stop and now their stealing our bandwidth instead."

I'd written a mod or two in my day, and had them hosted on one or both sites. I don't recall giving over sole ownership of the programs, much less rights to make revenue off them, when I did so. Perhaps I should read your fine print more carefully in the future?

I'd much rather see a CPAN-ish model for these things... make a library of mods with a good index, and then mirror it to any and all that want to spare the bandwidth, so no single site is stuck paying the bill. But, I guess that's against the real issue here: your making a profit off the code of others.
Theres the point.