View Single Post
08-22-14, 05:57 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by melanorion View Post
Can you link addons (you know) wich have good practice in they code ? I'll go analyze bToolTip, but if there is no best practices topic, if not many addons are good, how can we start coding ? i find the list of ace3 lib and example of using it.
Haste, Tekkub, Industrial, Adirelle, Rabbit, Ammo all generally write good clean code, and obviously I'd recommend myself as well. :P Stick to smaller addons for general examples, as they'll be easier to understand and it'll be easier to ignore anything irrelevant. If you see a lot of select calls and semicolons and tables being created in functions, stay away.

I'd recommend learning how to write addons without using libraries first. That way you'll have a better understanding of how addons actually work, and then later you can make an informed decision about whether to use a library or not.

Originally Posted by melanorion View Post
Is there a topic which explain a generic skeleton addon ?
- How to init my addon
- Which event should i catch, why
- should i save data (savedVariable?), how, why
- it's an ui addon (skada for example), how manage frame / elements in frame
Use the ADDON_LOADED and/or PLAYER_LOGIN events to initialize your addon. When ADDON_LOADED fires with your addon's name as its first (and only) argument, that means that all of your addons files have been read, including its saved variables file(s). When PLAYER_LOGIN fires, that means that all information about your character is now available, including your GUID, talents, etc.

Whether or not you "should" save data seems like a pretty straightforward question to answer. If you want to save any data -- such as the position of a frame, the user's preferred font, a count of how many murlocs the player has killed, or any other information -- between sessions, save it. If you don't have any data to save, then you don't.

As for "managing frames" that's a pretty open-ended question. It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to show or hide a frame, show or hide a frame. If you want to show some text, create a font string and tell it what text to show. etc.