Thread: /sigh
View Single Post
08-17-05, 03:05 AM   #32
draxshar
A Murloc Raider

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse with this, but this issue is one of my biggest pet-peeves being a fellow artist, so forgive me in advance if I seem to rant...

/onsoapbox

Brugs, I dont think that you understand the gravity of the situation from the nonchalance in your posts. Posting others creations on the internet or for download without the creators consent is theft, plain and simple. As a photographer/graphic artist whose work is on the internet, I am faced with this delema frequently, (and I have had this happen to me). Writing on add-on is no different than any other piece of art, its all intellectual property and cannot be redistributed without the authors consent, its their decision where/when/how to release/post/update their creations. We artists want total control of our work, (as we should), and your site has denied that very basic right. (All of the sites that you have mentioned give the authors control over their work). It would be no different than if someone came to your site and began downloading your' graphics, (that you worked hard on), or hi-jacked your code to use for their own site, (and no doubt you would be upset with over 500 hours of work). Its all intellectual property.

Dont get me wrong, I dont believe there was any malicious intent here, and yes, getting a site up and running is tough work, but I'll bet you 99% of the authors out there would have gladly given you permission to host their work, (as you said, it is a free service), but the creator has a right to decide where their work is shown. 10-20 emails asking permission could have saved you hours of work and not starting your site off with a black eye.

You must respect the art and its creators, especially now in this digital age when it is so easy to take basically anything, (giving credit or not)...

/offsoapbox

And a last suggestion...I would tread lightly with your comments to Cairenn here...Many of us have been with her through the years at EQInterface and now here, and she is very well respected, and she works her tail off here, (for us and you). Remember, you are trying to get people to use your service, so be respectful. Image is everything...

Last edited by draxshar : 08-17-05 at 03:20 AM.