View Single Post
06-30-05, 07:49 PM   #22
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Remelio
You're missing the "bot owning the camp" bit too.
If the bot gets fatigued then it won't be very effective. Give people the choice: your bot can play or you can play, but you can't do both. (The game gets a *lot* harder if you play exhausted...)

super efficient bot that will always react faster than you because its going at the speed of the processor instead of your brain. Even worse, a pvp bot?
So you've never killed a mob?! Humans are very competetive with the AI in the game -- this isn't a pure click fest. Why do you think player-made AI would be so much better than Blizzard's? (Off-topic: I've always thought it would be fun to choose to play a random mob. Spend an afternoon in an instance giving players some surprises. Every time you die, you get transported to a different random mob.

So if you look at the bigger picture, its more than just "making farming easier" and "thats not how you're supposed to play" - at excessive levels, the economic impact alone would make it to where normal players simply wouldn't have enough gold to buy things, because gold is so worthless in the player economy because of the massive influx of gold due to farmers.
I agree with you 100%! I just don't see anti-botting measures as effectively fighting that problem.

A warlock's pet AI or auto-run doesn't hurt anybody. I think Blizz crushes these mods just because they want a very clear, no exceptions, anti-bot policy. What's the goal of the policy though? Advertising? Winning the hearts and minds of players? That seems unlikely to me.

If they are trying to eliminate the "aftermarket" for gold, items and accounts, that makes more sense. BUT, it's not going to work -- all they are doing is creating human bots in cheap labor countries.

They've got to limit in-game supply. It's impossible to reduce spawn rates, so they must either reduce per-player drop rates (easy) or reduce per-player kills (also easy). I bet both of these could be done so that only a very small number of players are negatively affected.

P.S. I'm not using any of these affected mods so I'm not mad about it or anything. I don't even use decursive! It's just a very interesting problem that I don't really understand completely. Oddly, I sort of see the genesis of robot discrimination here. If people can't handle a bot beating them in a game, God help us if bots ever learn to post on a message board!

P.P.S. How do you know I'm not a bot? And does it matter?