View Single Post
09-02-14, 09:38 PM   #74
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Even rehosting GPL addons if the authors don't want them there seems like a pretty big faux pas if you want to be a legitimate part of the addon community. Rather than putting your obviously extremely limited time toward improving your Curse scraping bot, why not spend that time building features that people actually want? Enabling addon authors to directly manage their addons on your site, even if all they can do is edit the description and upload a file, seems like it should be your #1 priority.

Scraping and rehosting without permission -- even if the license technically allows it -- seems like a bad strategy for long-term success. It gives the impression that you don't care about working with addon authors, and that all you do care about is pulling more visitors to your site by any means possible to increase ad impressions. Even if that's not the case, that's how it looks, and the longer you keep it up, the less chance you have of ever redeeming your site in the addon community.

Frankly I'd say at this point you're already doomed to failure -- even if you suddenly had a full suite of tools for addon authors tomorrow, after the way you've handled your first steps, I doubt many addon authors would even bother giving you a chance -- but if you really want to proceed with building a legitimate addon site, you are Doing It Wrong.