View Single Post
09-14-12, 10:18 PM   #26
alivejamie
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
The complainers are not fun, but the real reason is we simply have very busy lives. Between wives/kids/family/jobs/church there is little time and desire left to pay attention to or keep this old horse going.

Carbonite was created by three people, one of whom financed the project. I wrote the addon. Haavok wrote the tools. He and I are still around if only once every few months.

We would have liked to make it more that it was and is, but economics stopped that. Haavok was laid off, my hours reduced and then down to just a share of donations. Donations have been very low for the past few years. People generally won't pay for what they can get for free (thanks Blizzard).

I work on and manage other people working on games all day long and have little desire after I drive my 45 minutes home to think about, play or work on more games. That would be like an auto mechanic coming home and then fixing his neighbors car for a few bucks, then the next neighbor and so on. I know one of those mechanics. He works on our cars after work because he needs/wants the money, not because of fun or some duty to the well being of our cars. I work on Carbonite because I want to see it stay alive and because people get enjoyment from it. My wife thinks it is not worth the grief, but I carry on.

I have said it before, if you want to donate for whatever reason, then do so. If you don't, then don't. That is your choice. Expect nothing in return, except for our thanks. God has always taken care of me and continues to, so I don't 'need' the money now, but I'm sure we can put it to some use.

It is now very late after all that rambling and I'm sure I will regret it in the morning.

So to those of you enjoying the addon, may you continue to enjoy it!
Wouldn't it be in everybody's best interests to either open the plugin up to the community or add somebody like Rythal to the team?