View Single Post
09-10-12, 10:58 AM   #16
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by solipsist View Post
Blizzard decided this, not us, the community. Should we as community be punished with a band aid addon with high mem/cpu usage? Should you punish yourself, by doing band aid fixes to an addon, where clearly you don't have the desire, time, passion, donationfunds to maintain this addon to an acceptable level?

Still, if you decide not to release the source code, then that's your good right. i just wanted to point this out to you. It seems that no-one benefits anything out of this situation.
Well think about it... the "Us" community hasn't supported Carbonite enough - otherwise there wouldn't have been very low donations. Honestly, I stopped contributing because I stopped playing for about a year, prior to that I had been a loyal fan and contributed the annual subscription amount at the very least. However, those who were not used to paying the subscription amount don't have that as a "goal" or even feel the need to pay and everyone new who gets introduced doesn't get that feeling. While most of the onus belongs to Blizzard on the dieing of the addon, some of it belongs to the community for not ramping and keeping up support. That being said, I don't know how much Carbonite was bringing in back in the day when it was a paid addon, or how much it brought afterwards - or even if any of those numbers would have helped them stay focused on Carbonite.

As to releasing the code, I completely understand if they don't want to. It's something that you created, spent a lot of time and effort in and made most arguably the best add on in WoW. To just release the code, release all that hard work - for others to take it and rip it apart, possibly giving it a bad name or bastardizing your work... I have a hard time doing that in my own job, so I can only imagine what they would think.