View Single Post
03-18-15, 05:18 AM   #14
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Interestingly enough, multi-quoting doesn't grab what the multi-quoted post is replying to.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

E) Thats because while there is a blizz dev working to make the game run on Wine that doesn't mean the game is ment tio be run on wine. I have a wimilar issue on my 3rd gen i5 desktop where I only get 30fps while windows I get 90+ regardless of wine version. You could try running the opengl graphics rather than directx if your not already doing so (windows users with fps issues can try this as well). You could also try the recommended performance tweaks in wine as well. (yes link sare to archlinux wiki but this is general info for WoW and WINE)
My husband and I both launch WoW via cli. My husband runs opengl exclusively (I believe). We've found, however, that doing so sets a variable in the game folders; running WoW via the battle.net launcher does NOT reset it, and in fact prevents the battle.net launcher from launching at all. We have to either reset the variable by hand or launch WoW once using -d3d9 before we can use the battle.net launcher. Unfortunately, using that is the only way we've found to patch the game. Usually what happens is that I get the patch and then my husband copies my folders to his machine(s) and to the machine I use when I'm in that area of the house.

I don't know if he's found those performance tweaks. I'll pass that on, thank you.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Altrernateively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

Or run curse from elinks. Yes it works.
I stopped using Chrome because I realized how much data it was sending back to Big Brother and I decided I didn't like it. Does Chromium do that? And how does it behave when running at the same time as WoW? (For example, I'm writing this while I'm flying from SW to Kara...)

I'm guessing elinks is like lynx, a text-based web browser?

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
One of the things I love about Linux is that the file managers (Nautilus, Thunar, Dolphin) could be customized. This includes putting shortcuts to folders in your sidebar which makes the manual extraction process of AddOns easy.
I doubleclick on the zipfiles to open the extracter, and extract directly into the addons folder.

Originally Posted by zyonin View Post
At this point, you are better off dumping Opera and going straight to Chrome/Chromium or another browser like Firefox.
Unfortunately, Firefox eats enough of the machine that I'm trying to *not* use it when WoW is running. Which is why I was running Opera in the first place.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
{...} You're just running a lot of addons, many of them very large and/or long past due for a total overhaul (*cough* Astrolabe *cough*), and your computer is old and weak. It is what it is.

Defragmenting your hard drive may also help a little, but probably not much either.
I haven't heard of that being needed since I left Windows. o.O

I also started experiencing this problem post-WoD and resolved it by ditching Examiner. I don't see that on your list, but if the disconnecting is fairly consistent, it shouldn't take too long to track down using a binary search pattern.
At some point I'll probably get annoyed enough to try that.

What do you have? I have a number of old graphics cards laying around and nothing to do with them; if any are an upgrade I'd be happy to send one your way. That said, upgrading your graphics card will only do so much, as your CPU is a major limiting factor for WoW's older graphics engine. Despite all the graphical improvements to the game, I'm not sure how much they've done to modernize the underlying engine; someone with more technical knowledge in that area may be able to weigh in here.
The NVIDIA X Server Settings pane says it's a GeForce 210. The Power Mizer section says Adaptive Clocking is enabled, and it's at Performance Level 2. I don't remember all the details on the CPU; it's an IBM ThinkCentre. The OS thinks it has 2 cpus in it, but iirc it's faking it with threading. It's a 32bit cpu (the other two from this scavenge are 64 bit). We've maxed out the memory, and this machine has a 1Tb hard drive.

It's not. If your connection was too slow you'd see lag -- eg. your instant-cast spells wouldn't actually cast for a second or two, other players might appear to jump around in the game world, etc. -- but it would not affect your framerate.
I do see lag at times, and part of figuring out what was going on was getting the addon Lagbar, which is tolerably awesome. Sometimes the lag is very bad - over a second, sometimes up to 2, and it varies whether it's home or world, but as far as I can tell it's unrelated to the frame rate, and unrelated to my freezing/wedging/discon issues.

Re disabling via telling the addon to shut up, vs disabling for the character.
That, on the other hand, is not the same, especially with regards to loading times. Hiding or "deactivating" an addon in-game will stop it from responding to events and such, so it shouldn't continue to impact your game performance (ie. FPS in combat) but it won't make much of a difference in terms of how long it takes WoW to load the addon in the first place. If you don't use an addon on a particular character, you should just disable it entirely on that character.
Fortunately, I can do that with ACP, cause doing it at the character selection screen seems to disable things for all my characters, as I found when I disabled the garrison stuff.

Last edited by Barleduq : 03-18-15 at 05:24 AM. Reason: More Data