View Single Post
03-18-15, 11:06 PM   #16
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My husband and I both launch WoW via cli. My husband runs opengl exclusively (I believe). We've found, however, that doing so sets a variable in the game folders; running WoW via the battle.net launcher does NOT reset it, and in fact prevents the battle.net launcher from launching at all. We have to either reset the variable by hand or launch WoW once using -d3d9 before we can use the battle.net launcher. Unfortunately, using that is the only way we've found to patch the game. Usually what happens is that I get the patch and then my husband copies my folders to his machine(s) and to the machine I use when I'm in that area of the house.

I don't know if he's found those performance tweaks. I'll pass that on, thank you.
You have to edit the wtf file to enable the opengl not the command arguments in the battle.net launcher.

Change the API in the config.wtf file instead. It's located in your World of Warcraft\WTF folder and can be edited with any proper text editor.

Edit or add this line:
Code:
SET gxApi "stufffinhgere"
change it to
Code:
SET gxApi "opengl"
typically located about the middle of the file or so and yes it must be in all lower case

Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
I stopped using Chrome because I realized how much data it was sending back to Big Brother and I decided I didn't like it. Does Chromium do that? And how does it behave when running at the same time as WoW? (For example, I'm writing this while I'm flying from SW to Kara...)

I'm guessing elinks is like lynx, a text-based web browser?
Chromium has an option to enable it, but by default it's disabled

elinks is in fact a text based browser, it's more updated than lynx is and even converts some jpegs to ascii pictures

Defragmenting your hard drive may also help a little, but probably not much either.
If the OP is using an ext4 file system then there's no need to defragment it's self maintaining.