Thread: TBC UI Changes
View Single Post
10-10-06, 11:26 AM   #50
shouryuu
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by yutt
You can't convince me removing hundreds (literally) of debuffs per fight manually is fun; no matter how rational you try to sound, or how many words you use. It's really quite simple to understand -- mass debuff removal and never being allowed to look away from the UI is not enjoyable for most people.
All in all, when you play WoW, you're just pressing buttons for hours and hours on end. What makes WoW fun is all the social content, it's the thrill of beating an encounter, the joy of obtaining a certain item, so yeah sure, all of those things requiers mindless button mashing, thoughtless gazing at idioticaly colored life bars, but thats part of the fun. I'm not saying it's fun, I'm saying that it's a small aspect of the game.

I'm a priest, and I like the changes. I like the changes for several reasons, but there is one reason that I believe is the very core of several changes in TBC, including the UI one, that people tend to miss. Most good arguments defending these changes have already been made, and I won't just reiterate them, however, I will explain myself on this "core" reason.

This change will bring back your individuality, hence your freedom, to the game. This may sound retarded, too philosophical and far fetched to some, but to me, it makes a lot of sense.

With add-ons that make decisions for you, namely Decursive, you aren't "free", you are a "slave" to your machine. Freedom is easily defined as the ability to do what one wants, and with these very addons, one wasn't playing the game as one wanted to, but rather how *addons* wanted to. If you wanted to heal A but it didn't want to, well you couldn’t, and hell you wouldn't. With these addons, you weren't playing the game, you merely became an intermediate that allowed addons to play the game.

With these changes you are going to play the game exactly how *you* want to. You are the sole master of your character. If you judge it more important to decurse B rather than A, then you will do so. If that wasn't a wise choice, and the raid wipes because of that well you've learnt something, you've become a *better* player. You'll be quicker, you'll be able to respond more aptly to different unplanned situations, you'll be able to improvise, to be spontaneous, daring, bold, courageous, whichever you believe is best.

What some addons, and the previous talent trees did, is they killed individuality. Everyone decursed with decursive, in the same exact way, everyone had the same build, everyone healed in the same and so forth. Now with the new talents trees and the UI changes, you can at last be an individual player. Didn't you just hate it when there was another player that looked almost *exactly* like you, played like you, had all the same spells you had? Well this isn't going to happen as much, especially if they increase the level cap to 80 later on.

Now, players won't be picked up in raids *only* depending on their gear, but also on their style of play. In a fight which is a bit hectic, well you're going to want someone spontaneous, someone who can improvise, make quick choices, multitask. He might be a bit sloppy at times, he'll make more mistakes than some, but he'll probably take more good decisions than most. If it's a long fight, you're going to pick someone who's understands mana regen, who understands how to be mana efficient.

At last, a player is going to be picked for what is most important in this game, skill. Yes, it's going to be harder than when you mashed a few buttons, yes it's you're going to think, even maybe learn, but it will make you smarter, quicker, and simply better.

Last edited by shouryuu : 10-10-06 at 11:30 AM.