Thread: TBC UI Changes
View Single Post
10-12-06, 10:18 AM   #56
shouryuu
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A voting system would simply never work, for the simple reason that players would always vote for things that are at their advantage. If Blizzard had submitted this change to a vote, sure, 90% of the voters would have said no. Does that mean anything? Not at all. Everyone wants a free mount, if Blizzard were to vote on that, 95% of everyone would answer "I want a free mount", does that mean that we *should* have free mounts? No. Things might not seem broken, because they are in our favor. Who has ever whined because an encounter was too easy? Really, who has ever cried, and yelled, and sobbed, because decursive made Lucifron an easier fight? No one.

Democracy isn't imposing the will of the majority. If that were so, we'd have no taxes for instance. Who *wants* to pay their taxes? Who runs around saying, "Boy oh boy oh boy I'm paying my taxes tomorrow! Woooohooo!!”? No one does. Because everyone hates paying taxes. But we need taxes. We need taxes to maintain roads, highways, streets, public housing, welfare, healthcare and so forth. Like Rousseau said, sometimes freedom is forced upon you.

The same applies to WoW. Freedom is forced upon you. As I said in my earlier post, these changes allow you to be free. No one is making decisions for you. Sure it's harder this way, but that's how it is. This whole game is about trial and error. This whole game is about learning through experience. We all know theorycraft doesn't always work. It's nice and neat and it *helps*, it's even needed sometimes, I agree, but it doesn't solve all your problems. The best way to understand one's class, one's role, and the mechanics of this game is by getting behind that screen and playing this great game.

Yes, to some extend, some people will have to "learn to play". I'm not saying everyone who uses decision making mods is a retard and doesn't know anything about this game. I'm saying that anyone who uses such mods, and knows exactly what they are doing, and why they are doing it; in other words, anyone who would make almost the exact same decisions the mods did had he not installed them, is a good player. He'd be using them not because they'd do things he couldn't, he'd be using them because they'd be optimizing actions he was already able to perform. Anyone else, needs to "learn to play".

Now don't run around branding me an "elitist", that's simply too easy. It's not because I don't share your opinion that I should be branded with some retarded term. I'm a casual player. I don't even play the game anymore. I leveled my priest is 24 days, he's the only 60 I have, and have basically very good pre-MC gear, nothing more. I've always been considered a good player, be it for my "skills" or my personality, and yes, I am proud to voice so. I still have a *lot* to learn about my class, about my style of play and many other things, and I welcome anyone, or anything, that allows me to uncover such knowledge; and that is why I welcome these changes.

I don't want to seem patronizing. I'm not better than anyone. Maybe I know my class better than some people; maybe how I see the priest class is completely erroneous and wrong, I don't believe there's a unique way to play one class. But I do believe that in order to understand these changes, in order to justify the act of saying "This won't make WoW fun anymore", you have to define what makes it fun. And to me, what makes it fun is simply choice. The quasi-infinite possibilities this game has to offer. I can chose to walk to Org if I wish to; it isn't as quick as flying there, but that doesn't make it any worst. Sure, if I need to be in org real fast, then flying is better, but like everything in WoW, it depends on the circumstances. Nothing is absolute in WoW. That's why I don't like decision making mods; they propose a template of "absolute" healing or decursing. With these mods, not only are people not understanding what they are doing right, but they aren't understanding what they are doing wrong, and that is something terrible to my eyes.

Last edited by shouryuu : 10-12-06 at 10:21 AM.