View Single Post
03-20-11, 08:23 PM   #16
timmerino
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Crissa, no offense was taken, I understand why one might be skeptical of such a post given its generality and ambiguity.

And Xinhuan, I understand your concern about how this research might be used but I assure you that it will only be used for academic purposes.

In a broad sense the objective of my research is to translate the experience of using and developing AddOns to an audience who do not use them and may not be aware of them. I don't want to be any more specific than that mostly because I don't want to suggest to you how you should think about the questions before I ask them. I'm primarily concerned with eliciting what you think is important about AddOns and AddOn development, so my questions will be broad and open-ended: "Why did you decide to start creating AddOns?" or "How did you get the idea to a create (a specific) AddOn?" These are a couple of examples of the kinds of questions I'll be asking.

After we have conducted the interview, I would be happy to talk more specifically about the hypotheses that I have started forming as a result of my research thus far.

I recently created an IRC account, so I can definitely use that service, though I am new to it so I am still getting my bearings. Send me a private message here if you are interested in setting up a time for the interview.

Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
I didn't want to be accusatory, but I've been reading forums on the internet for... Umm... Longer than a grad student might be alive. So I've seen scams before.

Thank you for providing more details.

-Crissa
Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
Perhaps you can provide more information on what your paper is about, how the the information from the interview will be used, what types of questions and their scope you will be asking.

Since you said you are in Austin, you should also consider the additional efforts needed when trying to talk to people that are not from the US WoW servers. I can probably agree to help you, since I've done a similar thing in the past with another graduating student doing a similar and related paper (not sure how related, since your paper's detail isn't clarified) 2 years ago.

Many addon authors are often available on #wowace and #wowinterface on the Freenode IRC servers at all times of the day.

Last edited by timmerino : 03-20-11 at 08:32 PM.