View Single Post
07-21-12, 07:30 AM   #119
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Could you give an example of this? There has always been lua code running out of the Blizzard_* addons, namely in the FrameXML (and on the login screen, GlueXML etc) - but I take it that's not what you mean.
No, this is new. The problem is I only saw behind the scenes when pet battles fired lua errors, these were not a part of the default interface, like FrameXML, GlueXML and so forth. There was no source file, only variables (and they were nowhere to be found in the current interface folder either). Now they seem to be fixed, and I have no screenshots, and I can't find any notes containing these specific errors. So all I can say is that it's something new they are doing. I was hoping someone else also played beta and saw these errors during pet battles, am I alone here noticing this?

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Personally though I simply don't like the mess of all the Blizzard_* folders in my addons, just makes it longer to scroll through and there's nothing you can do with them anyway. Better to just export it all when you need it.
I agree, but imagine a WoW where all the lua code is baked and you don't have access to anything, except what you can piece together yourself. We would survive, but it would make keeping API documentation a bit harder and more time consuming than it is now, since now we have access to examples on how the API is used (Blizzards code).

A concrete example of code we can't access is nameplates, I noticed a lot of the "<small-letter-prefix>Nameplates" addons use the same framework basically, because someone did the work to figure out how to alter how they look, and now most just use their addon as base and modify it a little. I guess it would be more unique coded addons if just we'd have access to the lua sources instead. Nameplates are probably not in clean lua, probably C or something, so I understand, but I hope they don't make more of their addons into this format since it doesn't help us (modders) at all. :P

Last edited by Vlad : 07-21-12 at 07:47 AM.