View Single Post
12-01-13, 10:10 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
@Dridzt:

I don't plan to add that, since (a) I don't want to see any spam anywhere ever, and (b) the chances of a misidentified message in Trade chat being relevant to me are pretty much zero. However, I'd suggest just throwing this line in to do it:

Code:
		if not seen[message] then
			tinsert(NoGuildMessages, 1, format("[%d] %s: %s", score, sender, message))
		end
+		ChatFrame3:AddMessage(format("<SPAM=%d> |Hplayer:%s:%d|h[%s]|h: %s", score, sender, line, sender, message))
@Everyone else:

Yeah, the invites themselves are not a problem, since they require a hardware event to send so they aren't spammed as heavily, and Blizzard gives you an option to block them. The problem now is the endless stream of idiots running addons to auto-spam their max-length guild ads to Trade chat every 90 seconds, or spam every unguilded player with a whisper at the same time. This addon basically just extends the "Block guild invites" option to also block those chat messages.

While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced BadBoy too, since it really suffers from the same "arms race" problem that led me to abandon BadBoy_Guilded. Reporting the spammers to get them banned is a laudable goal, but it's a huge amount of effort -- both for Funkydude to try to keep it constantly updated, and for me to be clicking on report popups every 5-10 seconds during peak hours and still have to manually report all the spam that gets through -- and Blizzard either can't effectively address the problem or just doesn't care.

My (as of yet unreleased) replacement takes a different and far less conservative approach. Currently it's 100% effective at blocking real spam, and about 95% effective at blocking irrelevant crap in Trade chat. I guess I should just polish it up and release it before my month of game time runs out, since I don't anticipate renewing. Anyone got a clever name idea?

Last edited by Phanx : 12-01-13 at 10:16 PM.