View Single Post
07-20-07, 10:07 AM   #27
i-right-i
A Fallenroot Satyr

Lets suppose for a minute that you really could get past all the legalities (which is a HUGE stretch) and you go forward with this Subscription site for support or however you want to word it.

This poll is only going to represent a very small amount of your users. Most probably download your mod, install it, read it, and figure out when little things are not working. I have been using your mod since day 1, and i have like what 10 total posts on your fourms. Heck severeal posts in this thread are from people that have openly admitted that they don't even use your mod. I don't think a pay site is going to provide the kind of numbers you think it will, not when there are a bazillion other mods out there with about 80% of this functionality for free. In the end, the only piece that is truely yours is the mazzifier and the pre-made layouts. A very nice piece I might add.

Being a code writer myself (for a living), I don't see any real legal way to take this code private to make money (which is what you are really trying to do if you admit it or not). It just isn't going to happen without a complete and total re-write which based on your own admission isn't going to happen either due to your lack of interest in the project.

If WoW doesn't hold the candle for you anymore, and you have found LoTR to satisfy that need, then my suggestion is to just move on. Just cut and run. I use your mod, I myself would hate to see it die, but I would prefer that then what your proposing. The reason I say this because taking this in the direction you are proposing would only delay whats happening now (this is assuming you get the number of subscribers that you think you would). In time you would get bored with it again, and what happens then? I think the answer is obvious.

There is another option to keep it alive. Why not just release the code if someone is willing to take it on. Or would you be opposed to someone just forking this mod?

~i-right-i