View Single Post
07-20-07, 10:55 AM   #28
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kyahx
I think you will also see a decent backlash from authors who don't want their work, intended to be free, being "sold".
As I said, it's their problem if they release products without including a license that forbids that
If you take 20 GPL licensed addons that are coded by random authors you don't know and don't wish to contact, put them together in a zip file and add your name on it, you're legally allowed to sell it. Mazzle does more than that, which is good, but it's not even necessary. What I don't know if what license is assumed if there is none specified, as most UI authors don't really bother adding one. I assume that work published with no license is perfectly free to be copy-pasted anywhere and sold though.

Edit: Before we get into legalities, I hold the copyright on my addons. With that, I chose who distributes them. Period.
I also think that you legally don't hold any copyright if you don't specify it into the files you're broadcasting.

Edit:
And anyway, it's not like a license forbidding that use of your code would help. It's still possible to create hooks here and there, and to just put links to your addons, or even an executable file that will download them and put them where they have to be. I don't think that it's forbidden for a paying software to install a freeware, is it?

Last edited by Layrajha : 07-20-07 at 11:08 AM.