View Single Post
07-20-07, 10:57 AM   #29
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by tardmrr
The difference is that RDX was selling his code-- not mine. I take offence at you wanting money for a compilation of addons written by other people, and should this go live, I would request my addons be removed from the pack. The fact that you expect to be paid for your "work" is ludicrous. If you expect sympathy from me for not getting the amount of donations you expected (and as a result, want to force users to pay) then you will be sadly disappointed. Open source software isn't about making money; it's about writing software because it's fun and giving back to the community. Don't try to leach from the community by selling it's own addons back to them.

Edit: Before we get into legalities, I hold the copyright on my addons. With that, I chose who distributes them. Period.
I was not proposing to sell your code or leeching and reselling things back to others. That's an unfair and insulting characterization. The description in the first post made a clear point that I was only offering my contributions. I could just as easily make only my add-ons available there, and people could download the other components on their own. And if people are going to take such an unfair stance on this matter, that's probably exactly what I'd do.

(And if I did do that, I'm sure others would soon create a compilation to save other people time from collecting them on their own. In the end, it would be just be a lot of convolution to no functional effect.)

Anyway, I was not asking for your sympathy about donations. I'm simply not playing WoW anymore, and am trying to find another mechanism to rationalize continue time expenditure on the the project, as opposed to simply abandoning the users.

- Mazzle

P.S. I know that some authors may resent that many users, especially the non-technical ones or ones who don't follow add-ons, may give compilations credit for things that they were not responsible for making. But that's not my fault. Quite the contrary, I, unlike other packages, have pursued unprecedented measures to educate users about add-ons and document exactly what I did and exactly what others did. I've made customized descriptions for every add-on, so people can learn more about them, citing the authors and web sites they can visit. Given all the tutorial resources I've written for the UI and the support given in the forums, I would like to think that I actually contribute to those same authors by lightening the support that would otherwise would be pointed in their direction.