View Single Post
07-20-07, 11:24 AM   #33
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by i-right-i
Lets suppose for a minute that you really could get past all the legalities (which is a HUGE stretch) and you go forward with this Subscription site for support or however you want to word it.
Once again, I'm not proposing to sell anybody's stuff. Any legalities that you think are a huge stretch are already cleared by things like RDX and WoWEcon. Hell, I think that paid sites that offer faster patch downloads and the like to premium users aren't qualitatively different.

This poll is only going to represent a very small amount of your users. Most probably download your mod, install it, read it, and figure out when little things are not working. I have been using your mod since day 1, and i have like what 10 total posts on your fourms. Heck severeal posts in this thread are from people that have openly admitted that they don't even use your mod. I don't think a pay site is going to provide the kind of numbers you think it will, not when there are a bazillion other mods out there with about 80% of this functionality for free.
Yeah, that may be true. That's what I'm trying to explore.

In the end, the only piece that is truely yours is the mazzifier and the pre-made layouts..
That's not really true.

Being a code writer myself (for a living), I don't see any real legal way to take this code private to make money (which is what you are really trying to do if you admit it or not). It just isn't going to happen without a complete and total re-write which based on your own admission isn't going to happen either due to your lack of interest in the project.
Again, I'm not trying to sell people's code. I'm not trying to make code private. I'm not interested in any sort of copy-protection scheme. It's completely a moot topic. If people download things and post elsewhere, there's nothing I could do other than object. I'm simply interested in knowing whether there's enough people who would see value in this and join to make this a viable idea.

If WoW doesn't hold the candle for you anymore, and you have found LoTR to satisfy that need, then my suggestion is to just move on. Just cut and run. I use your mod, I myself would hate to see it die, but I would prefer that then what your proposing. The reason I say this because taking this in the direction you are proposing would only delay whats happening now (this is assuming you get the number of subscribers that you think you would). In time you would get bored with it again, and what happens then? I think the answer is obvious.
In some ways, what you just said is the opposite of the point. Something like this would provide an alternate and consistent motivation regardless of whether I'm bored or not.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 07-20-07 at 11:34 AM.