View Single Post
07-20-07, 01:22 PM   #38
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by obsidianblack
Why is everyone so hung up on the Idea that mazzle would be selling code. Each and every user of mazzleui is more than welcome to go and download each and every mod that mazzleui contains. As far as i can see all Mazzle is proposing doing is selling his services of setup as well as his unique coding that makes the setup more usable and more automated. He could just as easily say "okay here's my stuff go download the rest on your own." It doesn't change the fact that is is his hard work of putting this all together. Why shouldn't he get some kick backs for his work.

More over i there are no legal issues here at all. He's not selling anything but his time. And quite frankly I think that most if not all of the opponents of this are simply opposing cause they don't want to pay someone for their hard work.
Mazzle has suggested that s/he may do this. I wouldn't go so far as to say that his entire fanbase would be willing to package MazzleUI on their own; that's quite a stretch. She asked for input and therefore is receiving it. I think most people have been constructive and bring valued input. There is nothing wrong with asking for donations or even wanted to run a support site.

What some people's concern is, and rightfully so, is the legalities. If you believe there are none, then sorry but you are wrong. Even if no license is specified, Intellectual Copyright is automatically implied. Licensing, legalities, and all that lovely stuff can be complicated and often comes down to who has the bettwer lawyer in a court of law. Bottom line is that the individual addon authors would have say. If they say to Mazzle, please remove my addon, then Mazzle must comply.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm trying to remain very neutral and objective. I don't use MazzleUI since I produce my own compilation, but I give her kudos for her hard work. I think the Mazzifier (other than the mazzlegasm, but that horse has been beaten to death) is a brilliant idea and give credit for the hard work, including the custom tweaks to several of the included addons.

Unfortunately, like most things in life, this is not a simple cut & dry issue. There are several issues to consider and that's probably why Mazzle is probing the community for feedback (again, rightfully so).