View Single Post
03-24-08, 03:10 PM   #9
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Tsurani View Post
sorry but i have been useing the term virii since the days of the BBS (late 1970s) and the MUDs.

But i am old school (pushing 40 yrs old) heck i still use the term 4 bits and 6 bits, the terms "4 bits" and "6 bits" referred to fifty and seventy-five cents.
Virii has been nerdspeak for a long time. As I am also an older player who has been in the IT profession for a number of years, I have personally heard many of my own nerds use this term. That is why it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The way I see it, nerds use it to try to sound "technically superior" to the common person. While this may not be the case in your situation, the irony of this scenario is there is no such word as VIRII with regard to viruses as you have spoken about here (computer infections named after real infections). Thus, it is highly ignorant in my estimation and defeats the user's original purpose in choosing the word - to sound technically superior. To me, it DOESN'T accomplish this at all. It makes the person sound like a moron. In fact, it's the worst kind of moron - one who thinks they are technically elite.

2 minutes, 2 years, or 20 years usage still does not make it accurate. The word is VIRUSES.