View Single Post
02-12-18, 05:10 AM   #9
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by doofus View Post
I also think (have not tested) that the client queues keystrokes, so that you spam the spell 50% into the GCD and say 75% into the previous cast, and it still fires and with 0 latency, whereas if you wait any longer there will be pauses in your rotation and a DPS loss.
A couple notes:
1. If I understood correctly, you were referring to "latency" as a lapse of time between a spell cast (or GCD) finisihing and a new cast starting. At least in WoW, this is not what people (or indeed Blizzard) usually refers to when speaking of "latency"; we usually refer to it as the time between your game client registering an user-event (say a button click) and that event being received by your realm's server, or inversely your realm's server sending you a world update (say some mob starting to cast a spell on you) and your game client receiving that information. This is essentially dependent on the player's Internet connection and, as different game clients (players) will have different latencies but still need to play in the same timeframe, some players will have this local-world / realm-world synchronisations spawned at "slightly" different intervals (when the difference isn't "slight", then you'll see players complain about "lag").
2. I might be wrong (don't think so but ...) but I believe the queueing works solely based on your actual latency (as I described it above). Your game client is aware of your latency (see https://wow.gamepedia.com/API_GetNetStats ) and will therefore allow you to queue an ability only within this time. E.g. your latency == 100ms means you can successfuly activate a spell 100ms before the current spell cast (or GCD) elapses.