View Single Post
07-04-17, 11:12 AM   #1
SushiAce
A Murloc Raider

[Help/Request] How to stay happy with your UI - and creating an unintrusive UI

Hey folks!

Like the title says, I need some tips on how to stay content with an UI. Over and over again I've redone my UI - and most of the time i change from ultra minimal back to a more graphical, rpg-like (Blizzard) style of UI (like ls:UI etc.). But i never ever stay content with it. Threre is ALWAYS something that irks me and more then often I can't really say what it is. So I usually check /r/WoWUi, the UI-Forum on MMO-C and ofc the threads/UIs here to get some inspiration and see how people with similar UIs have done it.

Afterwards I mostly discard the UI and do something entirely different. That happens all of the time and I'm really sick of it.

I already can see the question: "What does this UI need to be?" or something akin to it and I have something in mind: A non-intrusive UI, which still has that rpg-esque feeling (Artwork), isn't too big nor too small and still provides me with enough information to raid Heroic/Mythic. So basically a good mix; I already got some tips to "just make it functional and screw the pretty", but like I said: It should feel like it is part of the game, and not plastered on the screen.

Of course I did create some, like the WarStar UI I posted under a different name (simply didn't like the old name anymore). And I created some ultra minimal ones like I said - with and without ElvUI.

Also before you ask if I used Improved Blizzard UI: Yes, I did and whilst i liked it, it lacked something i couldn't pin down.

I really appreciate your inputs and thoughts and thank you already for reading and spending some of your valuable life/play time for my funy questions If you surf around MMO-C, I also posted it there, but some of you might spend more time here

P.S: Could I potentially suffer from UI-BurnOut?
P.P.S: If it is the wrong place for this, just move it